Modern Electrical systems and appliances are very safe and as such Electrocution (serious injury or death) and Electrical Burns are not as common in the UK household as other accidents such as burns from dry heat (a burn from a flame or hot appliance) or scalds (wet heat such as boiling water) but unfortunately Electrical accidents still happen.
Electrical Burns occur when Electricity passes through the body depending on the current and the time of exposure to Electricity. Electrical accidents vary from mild to severe, and in more extreme cases they can kill. No need to worry here’s a few simple steps you can take to protect yourself and your family from Electrical hazards in the home.
Don’t Use Electrical Appliances In The Bathroom
Bathrooms are not allowed Electrical sockets (unless they’re 3 meters from the bath or shower) Electrical sockets are rarely found in Bathrooms the only exception is shaver supply units which again should be installed away from the water supply. Don’t run any extension leads into the Bathroom and don’t use any Electrical Appliances when you’re in the Bath or Shower. An example of this would be using your phone in the bath while its charging or using a hairdryer while standing/sitting next to a bath full of water
Don’t Use Electrical Appliances Near Water Outside
The rules above apply for swimming pools and hot tubs aswell make sure any Electrical appliances and extension leads are well away from the water. All outdoor sockets must be waterproof iP66 Outdoor Sockets have hinged lids that protect the sockets from rain and water when not in use.
Make Sure Electrical Sockets Are In Order
Electrical Sockets have to be adequately fixed to the walls with the faceplates screwed in firmly with both screws with no gaps that children could potentially stick their fingers or other objects in. Make sure there are no wires exposed from the sides or at the back with back boxes screwed to the wall.
Check Your Wiring
Up to standard wiring prevents electrical accidents. Old, worn and damaged wiring can cause Electrical accidents, fires and power surges. Check all wiring in the home isn’t broken, rodent chewed, frayed or worn down to the core. Make sure all plugs are correctly connected to appliances and extension leads. Periodic Electrical Safety Tests and PAT Testing by a qualified Electrician will ensure your wiring and appliances are safe.
Handle Appliances With Dry Hands
Anytime an Electric Appliance is switched on or handled your hands must be dry, electricity and water don’t mix and wet hands will increase the chance of an Electric shock.
Household Electrical safety is just a matter of common sense make sure everyone in your home understands the dangers of electricity, and that your electrical system and appliances are in order and you’ll be fine.
Remember always use a qualified Electrician to work on your Electrical system or appliances