Welcome To TM Hughes & Son Electrical Services Ltd, your local Basildon Electrical Contractor and NICEIC Domestic Installer.
Call – 01268 351560
We have Electricians on hand for domestic and commercial Electrical work and 24-hour Electrical emergencies.
- Free Quotes
- No Call-Out Charges
Domestic Electrical Services
Our Electricians undertake all kinds of electrical jobs in Basildon homes ranging from small jobs like changing sockets and more involved jobs such as replacing Consumer Units.
Common Domestic Electrical Jobs
Here are some examples of domestic Electrical jobs we undertake
- Appliance Installation – We install all hardwire appliances such as electric cookers, induction hobs and boilers.
- Carbon Monoxide Alarms – Essential in homes with fuel-burning appliances. Wired CO alarms with back up batteries are the safest option and will alert you instantly in the event of
- Cooker Circuits – Cooker circuits wired into the mains, so you have the option of an electric cooker.
- Earthing & Bonding – Earthing & Bonding is an essential safety feature of electrical systems. We install and check existing Earthing & Bonding making sure it works properly.
- Electrical Heating Repairs – We repair electric radiators, storage heaters, boilers and underfloor heating
- Electrical Maintenance – Replacement, testing and repair of any part of your existing electrical system
- Heating Controls – Testing and replacement of heating controls from standard thermostats to the latest smart controls.
- Immersion Heaters – Electric immersion heaters are a great hot water back-up incase your Boiler ever fails.
- Outdoor Sockets – Enables safer and more convenient use of outdoor power tools and portable lighting, sockets are waterproofed and covered to cope with the elements.
- Sockets – Fit new sockets for extra powerpoints. We can also upgrade your existing sockets to a new style/look if you want something different from the traditional white plastic socket, ideal if you have recently decorated.
- Showers – We fit all types of Electric and digital showers, we have certified Plumbers on board to help.
- Smoke & Heat Alarms – Wired smoke alarms are an essential safety feature for both private and rented properties.
- Switches – Light switches can be upgraded or installed in different locations for more convenient light operation.
- Telephone Points – Despite the rise of the smartphone, the standard wired in the home phone still has its place, we can move existing points or install new ones. Extra Telephone points are useful for positioning wifi routers so you can get full broadband coverage in your home.
- Testing & Fault Finding – If you fault your system, testing quickly establishes the location and the fault.
- Tripping Circuits – Tripping fuses happen for several reasons, issues ranging from mild to severe we’ll diagnose and fix any problems so your fuses don’t trip anymore.
We install and upgrade Consumer Units to the latest no-combustible metal 17th edition types. If you have a plastic consumer unit or worse a traditional fuse board (wood base with fuse wire fuses), then it’s time to consider upgrading. If you’re unsure about your existing consumer unit one of our electricians can come round and check, everything’s in order.
The consumer unit controls the electricity used to power your home; it’s also an essential safety feature that cuts the current in case of a fault in the system, preventing damage, electrocution and fire. The consumer unit is connected to the mains electricity supply (delivered underground via cables).
Consumer units house various fuses each serves a part of the electrical system such as the cooker, lights, shower etc. These fuses are called ‘residual current devices’ (RCD’s) miniature circuit breakers (MCB’s) and ‘residual current circuit breakers’ (RCBO’s) each serve their own purpose.
RCD’s – Prevents electrocution to dwellers and electrical fires.
MCB’s – Protects electrical circuits from overload, damage and fires.
RCBO’s – An all in one fuse that prevents electrocution, overload, circuit damage and fires.
In the event of a fault, the fuse ‘trips’ instantly, cutting off the electrical current. The fuse is reactivated by flicking the switch. Sometimes RCD’s MCB’s and RCBO’s need replacing or extra fuses need adding for new appliances.
Wiring & Rewiring
We undertake all domestic wiring from wiring new installations in new builds and extensions to full and part rewiring in existing properties.
New Builds & Renovations
If you have undertaken (or planning) any building work such as a new build an extension or garage conversion you’ll require wiring and maybe an additional consumer unit. All wiring undertaken by TM Hughes & Son Electrical Services adheres to the current Part P building regulations (a strict legal requirement for building and renovation work). Existing wiring can be bought up to the latest standards if necessary.
It’s hard to tell when it’s time for a rewire. Electrical cables are kept out of sight and are near impossible to inspect. A qualified electrician knows what to look for and can evaluate the current state of your domestic wiring. It’s good practice to get your wiring inspected every ten years to make sure it’s safe. Generally rewiring is required every 30 years.
Earthing & Bonding
When undertaking rewiring, our Electricians ensure earthing, and bonding adheres to the required BS7671 standard. Earthing and bonding is used to prevent electric shocks.
Full rewiring is disruptive work, unfortunately. Old cables are removed, new ones are installed and joined up. For example, walls need chasing out for new cables, or sometimes walls are reboarded (with wires behind) and replastered. By planning everything upfront, we aim to make the process swift and smooth with as least disruption as possible.
Lighting installations range from upgrading light fittings to full new lighting installations. All lighting we install feature the latest energy-saving lightbulbs or smart bulbs.
All types of lighting are fitted which includes
- Ambient (standard lighting that illuminates your home)
All types of light are fitted which include
- Wall lights
- Track lights
New lighting installations are carefully planned designed to work with the size and shape of your room and other factors such as natural light, your decor and furniture. You may already know what lights you want and where you want them in which case we’ll fit them for you. We can also work t plans presented by your builder or architect.
Simple upgrades include replacing lights, bulbs and switches. You’re welcome to provide the lights yourself, or we can source them for you. New switches can be fitted to more useful locations or why not upgrade to smart bulbs so you can control the lights from an app.
Outdoor lighting is fitted to enhance your outdoor living areas, light up dark pathways and provide security. Our electrical contractors fit all types of outdoor lighting for both domestic and commercial properties.
Commercial Electrical Services
TM Hughes & Son Electrical Contactors are available 24/7 for a range of commercial Electrical services and emergencies.
We have served many businesses of all types in Basildon, including warehouses, factories, offices, restaurants and shops of all sizes. Electricity is essential to all businesses, and your electrical system must be up to the job, something our Electricians will make sure of.
Our services cover single and three-phase systems and Cat 5, Cat 5E & Cat 6 wiring.
We install, upgrade and repair all types of commercial lighting. Upgrading to the latest LED lighting increases energy efficiency and will save your business lots of money. LED bulbs are much more efficient than traditional forms of commercial lighting are safer and believed to enhance employee productivity.
Commercial lighting Includes
Faults in the commercial electrical system can be extremely disruptive to the everyday running of your business. If fuses keep tripping and the power or lights keep going off/out, then there’s a fault that needs diagnosing and fixing.
One of our Electricians will quickly identify and rectify the fault, ensuring it’s fixed and won’t cause you any more trouble.
If you’re experiencing any of the following faults, let us know.
- No power
- Burning smells
- Tripping fuses
- Consumer unit noises
- Flickering lights
- Melted switches
Always use a qualified Electrician to deal with Electrical faults. If an electrical fault has ground your business to a halt, then it’s an Emergency. We can get Electricians out to you within a couple of hours in the event of an Emergency (emergencies include no call out charges).
Ensure your commercial properties electrical system is safe for your workers, and your insurance is validated with an electrical inspection. We also offer PAT testing for portable appliances.
We have a wealth of experience in working with building companies and site managers on all kinds of building developments including extensions, refurbishments, new build homes and newly built commercial properties.
To hire Electricians or for a free no-obligation quote/survey, please contact us with the phone number or contact form below.